- Acupuncture and Chinese Herbal Medicine can be a great help to women throughout their pregnancy. It supports women through the three trimesters, by easing the physical and emotional changes. Both Acupuncture and Chinese Herbal Medicine can be very useful to support a healthy pregnancy.
- Conditions that can benefit from Traditional Chinese Medicine during pregnancy
- Threatened miscarriage
- Recurrent miscarriage
- Nausea and Morning sickness
- Digestive disorders (Heartburn, Constipation)
- Urinary tract infections
- Carpel Tunnel syndrome
- Varicose veins
- Back pain
- Pelvic pain
- High blood pressure
Acupuncture For Labour Preparation
- The use of Acupuncture and Moxibustion has been used to correct breech presentation. This technique involves heating an acupuncture point to correct the position of the foetus. Ideally the effectiveness of this technic is around 34 weeks.
- Acupuncture can assist with both the physical and emotional aspects of childbirth. Studies have shown that when Acupuncture is used regularly throughout the pregnancy, it can help ease the stresses of labour. Ideally treatment should start, on a weekly basis, from the 36th week onwards.
- Acupuncture can help boost ones energy and support the immune system as well as easing anxiety and frustration. It relaxes the pelvic muscles and tendons and so helps the baby find the right position to be born. During labour, acupuncture has shown to be helpful in aiding cervical dilation and descending the baby as well as reducing the time spent in labour.
- Acupuncture has a long tradition of use during childbirth and may be able to prevent more interventionist procedures from becoming necessary.
- The after birth or post-partum period is a wonderful time for a mother and a time where the correct support and care is essential. There may also be need for post C-section surgery recovery. The mother needs to replenish and strengthen her body to protect against post partum anxiety and depression as well as a smooth transition to breast-feeding the baby.
Sleep issues, incontinence, fatigue, breast soreness and abdominal discomfort are all common experiences during this period and can be eased and even avoided by acupuncture and herbs.